Traffic Management and Transportation Improvement
The City of Norwalk is developing a holistic, long-term traffic management and transportation improvement plan for managing the various modes of transportation within the City. The plan will provide a roadmap for innovative transportation solutions that are safe, economical, accessible, sustainable, livable, and suitable for Norwalk that enhance connectivity and mobility. This plan will guide the transportation policy and investments in the City transportation network over the next 10 to 20 years.
The Transportation Master Plan’s overall goal is to improve the various forms of urban mobility with future technologies and transportation modes in mind. Other goals include:
- Minimizing traffic congestion
- Improving the quality of life
- Managing curb-space
- Promoting favorable public health and social equality
The plan will include the following:
- Upgrading existing roadways to provide increased capacity, efficiency and safety
- Increasing micro-mobility options including electric vehicle on demand shuttles, ride sharing, walking and biking
- Including Vision Zero initiatives that prioritize equitable transportation options and traffic safety through design, engineering, policies, enforcement, community engagement, and education
- Addressing on-street residential parking
- Assessing issues such as traffic calming and truck traffic
Having a well-planned and coordinated transportation network is vital to the economic health of Norwalk. A well-developed and achievable transportation plan will contribute to ensuring the City’s viability and vitality for years to come.