July 30, 2020
Sustainability is about approaching our daily activities in a way that provides the best for people and the environment – both now and in the future. There are many small steps every homeowner or business owner can do. You may feel your space is small and inconsequential, but cumulatively there are over 22,000 individual parcels in Norwalk and those small actions can really add up to make significant positive change! Consider:
- Think about being sustainable before you act. Many times it is easy to make a sustainable choice – you just have to remind yourself of your choices!
- Eat locally and seasonally! Support local farmer’s markets and local restaurants. Plant your own vegetable or herb garden.
- Re-sell or donate items for others to use. By extending the life of any product, you help reduce trash generation and you help provide needed products at a reduced cost.
- Get your water from the tap. Water bottles contribute more than a million tons of plastic waste yearly; find your perfect reusable water bottle.
- Recycle…and purchase recycled products. Help support the market for the items you recycle and look for the ‘post-consumer’ label when you purchase new products.
- Reduce your energy use. Choose ‘Energy Star’ products; unplug electronics not in use; use a programmable thermostat; set your thermostat to be comfortable, but not excessively cool or warm.